Monday, January 19, 2009

Curry, Chapati, Dosa, Chutney-

Smooshed between Kevin and Justin on the last leg of our flight to India, Justin turns to me with a coy smile and a glance at my left over meal "You don't have to worry about leftovers with Kevin and me around". He promptly claims my food.

Today, is the 10th day that we have been in India. I am on my fourth homestay, and now am in Belagium with bobby, my new host. I smile as it is a name I don't have to study to remember. The others, Sangram, Devendra, Sunil, Suhnir were a challenge..

We arrive at this home where we promptly sit down and start eating the array of small delectable servings of Curry, chapati, peppers (with my right hand only). Don't let those small piles fool you.. The hosts are giving and gracious and leave the Italian's in the dust as far as manga, manga is concerned. The meal starts small and finishes with you firmly stating you are full on the third offering. The first and second offering, no is not taken and a "little" bit, which mind you is not little, is placed on your plate.. The second is slyly placed again. We are becoming all a bit rounder because of this pattern not only at dinner (which tends to be at 10 pm), but lunch and breakfast a like! (The food is so tastey and yummy, I wish I could pass it right through the screen for you.. )

"Tea Time" which follows with cookies, crackers, fruit, and sweets galore.. My sweet tooth is not longer.. Yesterday we were invited for Tea and were served a full fledge snack at 5 and then served a full dinner at 10.. I never expected to go to India and gain weight..And Justin has called uncle.. and shall we say "eaten his word" The only glance at my plate is when the third serving finds its way to my plate..:)

But alas, each and every meal is fabulous and it is nice to come home to a fresh prepared meal of fresh ingredients.. I am fully served and never allowed to prepare the food, or help clean up. it will probably be a bit before I hit an indian restaurant in the US but will take quite the adjustment to make myself meals once again as I return home.

No comments: