Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What do you mean its only been four days?

today is the first day that I have had access or a moment to spare to sit and write a quick soundbite of my amazing experiences here. I know that I cannot even begin to touch upon all that I am seeing here.. But, I will try.. first, I am healthy and well fed and cared for! All the hosts are treating us like royality. The food is absolutely amazing.. Ihave only eaten one thing that has made me gag, a "chocolate" wrapped ina leaf! Paan... Aparently it is a mouth freshiner.. and indeed it is.. I felt like I just cosumed a bottle of perfume... which as I chewed and dually said goodby, I fought the gag instinct and forced it down.. Other than that the food is top of this world.. All you Indian food lovers.. read it and weep.. I think that every meal is the best but then the next equalls it again and agiain..

funny experiences abound and much laughter and stories are being generated which i will write in my journal but expect I won't have much time to post here. But highlights include:

Recieving a total of 61 roses since my arrival 4 days ago.. I'm keeping count. I feel somewhere between a fabulous valentines day and a... funeral>> :) Yesterday, I recieved 30 alone.. It is tradition to present flowers as a welcome .. perhaps I will by pass 200 next week LOL?

an epiphany has been had... Long islanders are not longer considered bad drivers.. Indian's zoom throgh the crowded streets swerving with in 2 inches (seriously) of the rickshaw three wheeled carriages, bikes, dogs, people, buses, sugar can carts, you name it.. I am slowly becoming accustomed to it and my white knuckles are slowly gaining color once again..
I am slowing being transformed, with the Bindi, henna, glass bangle bracelets, and a tan.. i am in my glory here so comfortable and content, I cannot imagine not coming on this trip. for the first time, I am at a lost for words on how to share all of the experiences.. Yesterday, was a 20 hour day.. I am working on 4 hours sleep, perfectly content and bewildered by the kindness of the people, sancity of family, honor for there elders, striking colors amongst the dirt, and taste of the curry!

I am off and running again.. who knows, when i will pop in again.. I am happier than I have been in so long... all is well..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! I feel better now Polly. I am not worrying every day anymore. (Well not much) I am so happy that you are having such a fantastic experience. Remember that part about respect, honor and care for the elders. I like that part best!!!!:)
I know you went on this trip just for the curry. You must be in 7th heaven. It's 10 below zero here and headed for a wind chill of 35 below this week so I really wish I was there with you!!!! brrrr
Love you! Mom

Natasha Beccaria said...

Im so glad to hear from you. I was just saying to Rob "I hope Polly is having a good time". Then I checked your blog and here you were!

Live it up girl! This is YOUR TIME!

Anonymous said...

Brrrrrr - It's freezing here!! Nakuru (sp?) is quite happy and even though Tunnel is not very friendly, she and Brisco are enjoying each others company. They like to lie on the warm floors in the sun (when it's out!!)
Things are good here.
Love mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Polly!

glad to hear that it is turning out to be an amazing experience! You deserve it! Maybe the skiing and fine wine on west road prepped you for the great journey- glad we could be of assistance of course. Keep the blog going- any chance of photos? I love to share these blogs with my students at school. Ahh, life outside of central ny- cool Eat some killer curry for me, sounds delish!!!

Brooke!